Taking Off the Pounds

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

This week I started my morning off right. After kissing my wife off to work (she has an early 7:30 a.m. class she’s teaching right now) I walked to the gym and did a 30-minute cardio workout on the treadmill. This was at a mild pace, just designed to burn some fat and get the metabolism going for the day.

Today, was a double workout. It was actually finished with a “date” with my wife at 8:00 pm. A date at a gym? I know, how romantic this guy is!

The one problem with evening workouts, though, is the gym is so crowded. Even at 8:00 it was packed. I had to wait in line to get weights, so I ended up using the machines to do an abbreviated upper body workout… chest press, flies, seated rows, shoulder press. It was really the minimum I wanted to do, but seemed to take forever.

I had planned to do a tough upper body workout followed by a short cardio session… either aerobics if something was available or most likely a short session on a bike or elliptical machine. Instead I tired of waiting in line for machines and cut back on the weights. I headed upstairs to do more treadmill. I ended up doing 25 minutes, which combined with my AM session means I did 55 minutes on the treadmill today, with just a portion of the upper body workout I’d planned.

Overall, I’m happy with the cardio side. I really worked hard today. The resistance training, though was a big disappointment.

To adjust, tomorrow morning I’ll do the rest of the Upper Body I didn’t do – arms and shoulders, then follow that with a light lower body workout. I’ll forego the morning cardio to the afternoon, when I had planned a short session at 2:00 pm. Instead I’ll do a bit longer and more intense treadmill session.

Wednesday is an off day for resistance training, although I plan for a hard cardio push. Then Thursday will be another hard cardio day with a hard upper body workout. Friday will be no cardio but a hard leg day.

Saturday I hope to do some soccer with some friends from work. If not, I’ll do a light cardio workout. Sunday is an off day.

I just have to remember to stay flexible in my planning. Like today, when what I’d planned didn’t work out I could switch my activity to one that benefited my goals.

So far I’ve lost 53 pounds. I have 15 more to go to my short term goal and 50 to my long term goal. I’m more than half way there.

Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home